What can you do with a Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs?

4th November 2020

A Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs is an ideal qualification if you’re working with people who have been affected by substance abuse. This course is suitable for people currently working in health, welfare and community service industries who provide support to those with alcohol and other drug issues. You might specialise in this area of support or just want to learn more about the issues involved so you can better assist your clients and refer them to other support services.

The Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs covers a range of subjects relevant to working with people with addictions or substance abuse issues. You’ll learn how to assess the needs of clients, including determining their eligibility for support and their referral needs. You’ll also look at any co-existing needs your client may be experiencing. You’ll explore intervention strategies and learn how to create and review treatment plans.

Working with clients affected by alcohol and other drugs can be a rewarding career. It’s a demanding role but one that comes with the satisfaction of seeing clients reach their goals. This industry is perfect for people who enjoy supporting others and who are excellent listeners. It’s important that you are empathetic and able to communicate well with people from a range of backgrounds. You’ll need to understand the needs of your clients and be aware of the various support services available in the community.

A Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs is an ideal course of study for the following careers:

Substance Abuse Counsellor
A Substance Abuse Counsellor works with people who are having issues with alcohol or other drugs. They might develop a treatment and support plan or liaise with family and other services for assessments or interventions. Substance Abuse Counsellors might specialise in either drug or alcohol abuse or they might work with a particular group of clients. They may also address other issues impacting their clients’ lives such as family breakdowns or financial and unemployment problems.

Social Worker
Social Workers provide support to clients who are going through a difficult time. They might offer emotional support through counselling, guidance or advice or give practical support by connecting them with other services in the community. Social Workers might specialise in a particular area such as homelessness, unemployment or substance abuse. They might have a caseload of individual clients, work with families or deal with people in a group setting.

Rehabilitation Counsellor
A Rehabilitation Counsellor works with people who are recovering from major life events such as injury, health issues, substance abuse or addiction. They may develop a rehabilitation or treatment program and assist clients as they adjust to life changes. Rehabilitation Counsellors might help people get back into employment or education or help them to keep their treatment on track. They may work with family and friends or other community services to ensure their clients have the support they need.

Higher education pathways

A Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs is an excellent qualification if you’re getting started in this area of community services. You might choose to continue your studies with a Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs which provides further insight into substance abuse counselling and relapse prevention. You could also increase your skills and knowledge with other certificate level courses such as the Certificate IV in Community Services or the Certificate IV in Mental Health.

If you decide to further your career in this industry you could enrol in a university degree such as a Bachelor of Community Mental Health, Alcohol and Other Drugs or a Bachelor of Community Services. This will expand your knowledge and broaden your career opportunities. A university degree may allow you to take on a community services position with more responsibility. You may be able to use a Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs as a pathway to these courses.

Getting started

If you’re thinking about enrolling in a Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs, start by requesting information from different course providers. There is usually some variation in the way they deliver courses so it’s important you find the right provider for you. Find out about the duration of the course, costs, any prerequisites and the content the course will cover. Once you have all the information you can compare the details. The Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs may be offered online or on campus.

Written by Jodie Magrath
Jodie Magrath
Jodie is a freelance writer with a background in communication and journalism. She’s spent almost 20 years working in roles such as Special Projects Writer and Publications Officer.

You may also like

How to start a career in Legal Services

A career in Legal Services can often be demanding, but you may get the chance to help people during a challenging time.

5 Fun Career Paths that pay well

If you’re looking for work that is fun as well as financially rewarding, here are 5 jobs that you might be interested in.

What can you do with a Certificate IV in Allied Health Assistance (Occupational Therapy)?

Support people with a disability, elderly people or people who are recovering from an injury or illness by following a therapy plan prepared by an occupational therapist.